This is the very last article in the LOVE Edition series. Next month, we’ll be discussing the ever so popular and turbulent topic of MONEY (yes March Money is happening). That three week series will take place a bit later into the month. So feel free to sign up for our newsletter (to the right) to be notified of the exact start date.
Okay, today it is all about how to stop worrying what others think. A loaded discussion once again, and honestly there is no right or wrong approach to this as long as you stop adding value to thoughts that aren’t important. To some degree, just like everything, we need to hear about opinions and view points of others. That’s how we evolve, learn, and become inspired. Those ideas are useful. Today, we are discussing the harsh sideline critics, societal norms that don’t work for us, and unsolicited opinions that need to be ignored. Let’s dig in!
People Have Opinions About Everything
It’s not unique that at least one person doesn’t like you, thinks you are doing it all wrong, or is harping on the decisions you’re making. We all have those sideline critics. They think they can do so much better, and I honestly want to ask them one day why don’t you do it then? Just to see their response.
The more successful you become, the more you go against societal norms, the more of these critics you gain. It’s part of life. People don’t like change, and they don’t like feeling left behind. So don’t feel alone if you are facing an issue of being judged for the decisions you are making. As long as you are happy, healthy, and are being authentic to yourself, that’s what matters.
It’s gotten to a point that if I have another person not like me, if I have more people questioning my decisions, one more person with judgmental opinions, I now know I must be doing something right.
Strategies On Letting Go
Here is the thing most people don’t understand and that is, by fighting this critics (or proving your point) you are losing valuable time and energy needed to keep moving in the right direction. In order to continue to be successful, happy, and growing, you must learn how to let go of the critical remarks. Easier said than done, I know. But if you can master putting on blinders and focus intently on your goals and dreams in life, you’ll be so much happier and in a better place. My mom would say, “make your life so big, you can’t even see the haters anymore.”
So how do we let go of the nasty messages, the judgment, the betrayal? Like I said earlier, there is no right or wrong way of doing it, as long as it is done. Here are a few tips that has worked for me:
- Journal what is going on. Get it all out of your system and on paper
- Talk to a therapist or trusted loved one what you are dealing with
- Go for a walk to clear your mind
- Go to the gym to take out any aggravation
- Set boundaries, and if they continue to cross them, block, disengage, unfriend, ignore. You don’t need people in your life constantly trying to bring you down
- Don’t engage in discussions or arguments that are trying to defeat you and your dreams. Either walk away, stay silent and mentally envision your dreams coming true as they speak, or change the subject. There is absolutely no point in wasting time arguing with someone who doesn’t care to change their mind
- Build a community who understands and is in the same place as you
- Train your mind to stay focus on what matters. Talk yourself through the situation, know you are doing the right thing and you are on your way
- Use visuals to stay focused and motivated on your goals and dreams in life
- Say affirmations that erase any messages that haters may have implemented
- Listen to mentors who have gone through exactly what you are going through and how they managed to preserver.
The whole concept is swaping out the negative with a postivite action that will actually get you closer to your goals. It’s using your enemies energy to propel you to the next level. You can literally say to them, “thank you, next (level)!”
Question Of The Day
How do you tune out negative people and their opinions? Let me know in the comments below!