It is easy to splurge on products that will never see the light of day. I’ve done it. You’ve done it. We have all committed the crime of spending hundred of dollars on never to be used merchandise. And it blows. Looking through my closet recently (and thousands of other people’s closets on Poshmark), I realize that we all fall for the same gimmicks. Buying purses that don’t fit our style, or jewelry that were once great ideas but would never work. It dawned on me simple shopping guidelines might be of interest to many ladies who want to shop smart and save big. So I have collected my top personal shopping tips that will save money.
Shopping Do’s and Don’ts That Will Save You Money:
1. Don’t buy plastic jewelry. It doesn’t matter if it is Tory Burch or Marc Jacob who is selling it, plastic will always look cheap. DO save your money for some gold plated bangles from Kate Spade or Henri Bendel instead.
2. Don’t buy fakes or knock offs. I use to run down to Chinatown to buy knock off purses back in high school. They would stick the designer label on it right before you buy it so that cops wouldn’t arrest them. I got such a kick out of it, thinking wow what a way to get a designer purse for less. It wasn’t until a couple years later that I realized fake purses are easy to spot a mile away, and well it is illegal. Overall it not only makes your outfit look cheap, it makes you look cheap. DO save up for a real designer bag, or buy a fun non-designer bag that fits who you are!
3. Don’t buy because of what the label says. This is a big one. Sometimes we buy items because it is a designer label on a massive discount, or because it is a size smaller than what we really are. Ladies, the labels are hidden on the inside for a reason, it doesn’t matter. DO only buy it if you actually really like the piece and it makes you feel amazing.
4. Don’t buy anything that you constantly have to pull or adjust to make it look “right”. This is my biggest money wasters. What I’ve learned is that if I have to pull and tug on the dress in the fitting room, I will be pulling and tugging on the dress all night long. And that is not attractive. DO save your money on an outfit that fits effortlessly.
5. Don’t buy anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you feel uneasy and uncomfortable in what you’re wearing, it shows. DO find your pieces that make you feel like you can run the world. Even if it isn’t “trendy”, find your own style and run with it!
6. Don’t buy out of desperation. Those last minute dresses are typically worn once and then shoved into the back of the closet. Wait until you have more time to think and browse to shop. If you need something for that night and there is nothing in your closet, DO borrow from a friend or use Rent The Runway.
What are some tips you use when shopping? Let me know in the comments below.