Hi Friends! This year has been the year of travel. Starting with a cross-country move, to visiting Quebec for the holidays, spending time in Florida for the winter, all the way through to my one-month travels in Europe. And the year is not over yet! I have one more trip up to New York for Fashion Week, and I am preparing my carry-on bag as we speak.
Usually something is forgotten in the mix of the excitement, so I thought today it would be fun to list all the essentials I bring with me as my airplane carry-on. These are necessities I would pack whether it is a short trip up the coast or a long trip across the pond. Equally beneficial for both types of travelers.
For starters, I have to have a bag that is going to fit everything! I fell in love with this Henri Bendel weekend bag for two reasons. First, there is a separate compartment below for added space. Secondly, it zips all the way close on top making sure nothing spills out. I also really love the fact that the straps are adjustable which helps when I want to wear it cross-body, on one shoulder, or use the handles to give my shoulders a break. The leather detailing on the bottom of the bag, handle clasp, and tasseled zippers are a nice touch of luxury.
Once I have my big bag, it is time to pack! Here is everything I place inside:
- The most important is my wallet (also from bendel) and some sort of ID. I can’t fly without them!
- All my electronics. iPhone, iPod, Kindle. Plus the charges for each. I made the mistake of not bringing chargers and was stuck in the airport for hours due to a blizzard. Needless to say, I overspent on chargers to keep my electronics running.
- Snacks. My absolute favorite plane snacks are Combos and Sprite, but some sort of trail mix is also a great thing to have on hand.
- Altitude sickness meds. I am a lost cause without these!
- Magazines. I overload on entertainment, I never know what I am going to be in the mood for. So I might as well have it all!
- Headphones. A definite necessity to listen to music or movies on the plane.
- Sunglasses. Especially if I am going to a sunny place like LA. I love these Fendi sunnies, they are just super fun.
- Sandals or other weather appropriate gear for where I am heading. I might go straight from the airport to an event and like to be prepared.
- My favorite Paraben free deodorant, lip balm, makeup, and hair ties! These are great especially for longer flights to touch up once landing. I keep them in my DVF makeup pouch.
- Business cards and a small notebook. I never know who I am going to run into on the plane or in the airport. Best to be prepared.
- A sweatshirt because I get cold really easily on planes! Not photographed because I usually am wearing my sweatshirt through security.
Let me know in the comments below if you want a list of items I bring with me in my checked suitcase as well!