Two weeks ago, I was invited to the Youth Marketplace on Social Innovations for Health & Wellbeing event. The morning panel was hosted at the United Nations by Every Women Every Child and in partnership with the Office of the President of the General Assembly. SDG Media Zone supported the conference and invited me to cover the important discussion on sustainability and gender equality. Both topics I am extremely passionate about. Two of the organizations that resonated the most were Why Farm It and She’s The First. Today, I want to introduce the latter and ways we can all get involved in providing gender equality in the classroom.
There are two times during the year that I jump for joy, and it is called New York Fashion Week. I live for the shows. The energy, the creativity, seeing all my coworkers and peers gather for the incredible events. There is nothing like it. I am always impressed by what the designers come up with and the immaculate ways they display their designs. For the full schedule take a look here.
Here it is again, my favorite subscription box! The POPSUGAR Must Have box has never let me down, you can take a look at what I received June, October, November, and now December!
Oh, I hate writing bad reviews. I try to keep this blog as positive as possible. When I receive products that I am not fond of, I typically skip posting about them to make room for services or products that I love. However, I was gifted the November Birchbox to review, so a review I must do. Here are my honest opinions.
Last week Emily, from Social Fashionista Beauty, and I attended the launch of Town & Country’s latest book Manners and Misdemeanors. The event was held at the jewelry boutique Nirav Modi located on Madison Avenue. It was a very beautiful and elegant setting.
If you knew tights would fight cellulite while you wore them, would you buy them? Is that even a question!
These item M6 beauty tights do just that, fight cellulite while wearing them. I gave them a test recently while having a massive shoot day. I was on my feet the whole day when I wore the black opaque tights.
This is what I noticed:
Ask any designer their dreams and their answer will be to have their collection at Bergdorf Goodman. The department store has been a manhattan staple to the elite for decades. Celebrities, presidents, first ladies, pretty much any top style icon has shopped the massive fifth avenue establishment. So for a blogger to design a collection and have it debut at Bergdorfs is kind of a big deal! The times are changing, and influencers are leaving a gigantic mark.
Last night I went to the Plan de Ville showroom in Manhattan. It is a very cute, all white room with racks of beautifully curated pieces. I felt as if I had walked into my dream closet. Catherine Smith, the founder and fashion director of Plan de Ville, was one of the first people to greet me at the door. It was the most genuine hellos I’ve had in a while. In such a busy fast past industry, I felt I was really appreciated being and acknowledge.
Catherine brought me through the showroom and answered several of my awe-inspired questions. Like what is the number one piece every woman should own. Her answer- a bodysuit! I couldn’t agree more. She then pulled this lace, bell sleeved bodysuit that was to die for.
A few weeks ago, I attended the Power Your Happy panel hosted by Lisa Sugar from Popsugar. The evening corresponded with the launch of Lisa Sugar’s new book “Power Your Happy” and was filled with incredible speakers who have successfully turned what they loved into a career. The panelists were Deborah Lloyd who is Kate Spade’s Chief Creative Director, Chef Chloe Coscarelli of by CHLOE, and Jessie Randall the Creative Director and Cofounder of Loeffler Randall. See what each inspirational woman had to say below!
Lisa Sugar – founder of Popsugar
- “Do what you love”
- After a lot of crappy jobs in my 20s and not liking what I was doing everyday, I started “doing what I love”. My husbands motto of “just do it” played in my head. I began writing and making a routine. I learned from the audience what they liked and modified the content.
- I have a series of people I look to for inspiration, such as Beyonce. Though I don’t know her personally, I use her quotes to help direct my own thinking and choices.
- As for Balance? Screw balance. It is great in theory, but there is no such thing as balance when you are doing what you love and working for yourself.
Deborah Lloyd – Kate Spade’s Chief Creative Director
- I was head of Burberry of women’s wear and Banana Republic then Kate Spade. I kept moving into new opportunities and experiences.
- Be surrounded by a team of people who are better than you and better at the things you hate to do.
- A smile will get you a lot further than you think.
- The hardest experiences are when you learn the most and inquire more drive.
Chloe Coscarelli – by CHLOE
- Attitude is everything. Not success is everything; not money is everything. It is how you see things that make a huge difference.
- I moved home for three years and not sure what I was doing. That time was so necessary. I was able to listen to myself and figure out what I wanted to do.
- My advice is don’t seek validation from others. Who cares what other’s think when you tell them what you do for a living or if you are in the place of figuring your life out. Do what you really love.
- Think about what you would want as a consumer- that will cultivate more genuine products.
Jessie Randall – Creative Director and Cofounder of Loeffler Randall
- I struggled with the confidence of saying I am a designer at first. It was something I had to get over.
- Someone asked me at the beginning stages of starting my own business, “If you failed- would it still be a positive experience if you tried to be a designer?” – it helped me take the big risk.
- Let go of things- delegate, ask for help, you don’t have to do everything yourself.
- Find a partner that will help you. They should be the ying to your yang.
- When you can’t stop thinking about it, pursue it.
- Think about what makes you different from what is already out there.